Suicide in Elona happens when a character deliberately takes higher damage than their current HP. Both the player character and NPCs can commit suicide in various ways.
Players can commit suicide by accident, or as a way to escape undesired conditions (e.g. Etherwind, Jail), or when they become stuck in the game (e.g. by using a "downstairs" item without means to return). All options cause a set amount of damage, thus are survivable if the player's HP is higher. Player suicide can be committed by
- using a tight rope (requires confirmation, causes 99999 damage);
- using a guillotine or an iron maiden (automatic, causes 9999 damage);
- wishing for "death" (automatic, causes 99999 damage).
Non-player characters can use suicide as part of their attack repertoire. NPC suicide can be committed by
- using the Suicide special action in combat (99999 damage to self);
- triggering their innate ability to self-destruct upon being attacked (99999 damage to self);
- triggering their innate self-destruct ability even when unprovoked (99999 damage to self).
Fatal attacks of the Mind element make the target "lose its mind and commit suicide".